Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I guess an explanation of the rock pile is in order. When visiting the in-laws on their land I often enjoy walking around the land just to enjoy the solitude. Occasionally you'd come across a big pile of rocks. To a city boy this brings to mind a resent construction project, but in the country piles form simply from farmers picking rocks out of their fields and always throwing them in the same convenient spots. It speaks of history and steady work of others before you. A place where roots go down. So when I saw myself throwing a rock into a pile, a new pile, it made me think of a small root going into fresh soil. Will Adeline's grandkids climb on large piles of rocks and wonder how they got there? Will we still be on this land or even in this town.

There are so many romantic ideas in farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment